CHWA and CHPC JOINT QUARTERLY MEETING
Friday December 12, 2014 9:00 am – 3:30 pm
The Marriott Convention Center – Broadway Ave – Oakland, CA
During the CHPC Annual Conference held Oct 30-31st, it became clear that so many of us are at a critical juncture in the development of our health pathway programs and systems in CA. We all want to build sustainable programs and systems that build a skilled and diverse health workforce for our state’s future, but questions and challenges remain:
How do we …
- … build links between pathway programs?
- … engage intermediary organizations to help with collaboration?
- … develop platforms for advocacy to help initiatives at the state-level?
- … evaluate our impact?
- … engage with employers for work-based learning?
- … and work with our regional partners so our pathways address the workforce needs in our area?
With these conversations in mind, we’ll be offering interactive sessions during our CHWA/CHPC Quarterly Meeting that will allow us the time and space we need to dig deeper to find solutions together. We’ll be capturing the information we share and will use it to help inform funders and state agencies about the support we need to further the work.
We look forward to seeing you!
If you have any questions about the upcoming CHWA / CHPC meeting on 12/12/14, please call Brooke Briggance at 510-285-5653.
Congratulations to our partners at the California Health Professions Consortium!
October 30 – 31st our partners at CHPC hosted their 6th Annual Conference entitled: “Leading Successful Collaborations to Strengthen Health Pathway Programs and Build Health Pathway Systems.” Attendees heard from key-note speakers and panel members such as:
- Dr. Barbara Staggers (Director of Adolescent Medicine, UCSF-Benioff Children’s Hospital, Oakland and Chairman of the Board, The California Wellness Foundation)
- Funders panel with representatives from The California Endowment, Kaiser Permanente, the California Department of Education, and the James Irvine Foundation
- Dr. Sandra Hernandez (CEO, The California HealthCare Foundation)
- Alex Briscoe (Director, Alameda County Health Systems Agency
- and many others!
- The Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development
- The California Wellness Foundation
- California Community College Chancellor’s Office, Health Workforce Initiative
- Center for Health Leadership
- UC Berkeley School of Public Health
- UCSF Fresno Medical Education Program
- Latino Center for Medical Education and Research
We’re Redesigning our Website!
CHWA staff has been working with a design firm, Hyperarts, to create a new website and we’re really excited about its upcoming launch!
The new website will:
- Be responsive to all viewing platforms including phones and tablets
- Include a calendar that allows members to post upcoming events, job openings and funding opportunities
- Highlight state-wide initiatives and advocacy opportunities
- Provide access to relevant research in the field of health workforce development for CA
- Offer a Monthly Hot Topic from our co-directors and invited thought leaders
National Employment Law Project releases report: “A Healthy Balance: Expanding Health Care Job Opportunities for Californians with a Criminal Record While Ensuring Patient Safety and Security.”
The National Employment Law Project just released it’s report, exposing inequities in background check protocols for those interested in pursuing a career in health care. The report goes on to recommend reform actions and employer practices to ensure fair consideration and a move away from lifetime disqualification for certain professions. CHWA’s co-director, Jeff Oxendine, served as a reviewer for the report.